To upgrade Windows from 7.0 to 10, use Microsoft Media Tool to download and upgrade Windows. During this process sometimes setup hangs on ‘Getting Updates’ screen with ‘Checking for Updates’ message.
Possible reason for this may be, the current version of Windows 7.0 may not be activated. So, to complete the setup without activation, follow these steps,
- Leave the Windows 10 Setup window as it is
- Go to Services (Press Windows+R. This will prompt run dialogue box. In here, type services.msc) and stop the Windows Update Service.
- Go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and delete all of its contents.
- Restart the Windows Update Service.
- Go back to the Windows 10 Setup window and it should continue.
These basic steps will overcome the activation problem.